Sunday, February 23, 2014

Tow #19: Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor, written by Marcus Luttrell is a heroic account of the Operation Redwing, that was carried out by the SEAL team 10. At the beginning of the book, Marcus Luttrell, starts out by introducing himself and more about the SEALS before he leads up to what had happened. I like the set up of the book a lot because personally, I do not know much about the rigors of being a SEAL and Luttrell does a good job leading into the story with a lot of description. I am not finished this book, but so far from what I am reading, Marcus Lutrell, writes this true inspiring story for people to remember those SEALS that fought hard to protect our country and lost their lives because of it. The context of this book was the War On Terror going on in the United States. I feel like this novel was written for the people in the United States to really appreciate the SEALS and understand what they do.
The way Marcus Luttrell writes is very interesting because he is telling his story and he knows better than anyone else what had happened there. The language in the book is very descriptive in terms of the setting and the feelings that the SEAlS are experiencing.
The descriptions and facts that Luttrell uses really spark a lot of mixed emotions while I read this. When he describes the Taliban and Afghanistan and how dangerous it is, this causes anger. However, as I have already seen this movie and know the ending, this book causes sorrow. Mostly, this memoir brings up feelings of appreciation for the SEALS and what they do for our country. Every time I read this memoir, I feel anxious and want to read more because this memoir is so intriguing I can't wait to see what happens next.
I honestly do like this book, except I feel as though that Marcus could have a bigger purpose in writing this piece. I feel as if Marcus feels guilty that he is the only "lone survivor" just by the way he talks about his "brothers," or the SEALS that died on this operation. However, I want to finish reading this book in order to see if that was Luttrell's intended purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment